This is one of those drinks that is a must know in my opinion. The Sapphire martini taste great, and like most blue cocktails is also pretty cool to show off. Another plus to this martini is the simplicity. It is gin based which adds a slight complexity to the flavor without adding too many ingredients!
Method: Shake and strain
Ingredients: 2 shots gin of choice, 1 shot blue curaçao (red or blue cocktail cherries to garnish)
1. Add gin and curaçao to shaker and shake until chilled
2. Strain into chilled martini glass
3. Gently drop cherry into bottom of glass and enjoy!
Exotic Splash is a Pacific Northwest based movement. We are passionate about making a splash by both introducing YOU to the best cocktails, as well as ocean conservation. A percentage of all income generated by Exotic Splash will be donated to Ocean Conservation. Help us help the future generations. Cheers!
I discovered The Elephants Fury in a Sunset Kitchen article. Its birthplace is Oakland California and it is still served by Navi Kitchen in Emeryville, CA. This is a sophisticated recipe that serves 8 and will take a little time but creates a spicy,complex and delicious cocktail sure to impress in any small gathering.
Method: Blend and strain
Ingredients: 1/4 cup fresh chopped turmeric or turmeric powder, 3/4 cup sugar, 2 dried arbol chilies, 1 cup fresh lime juice divided, 1 tbs kosher salt, 1 tbs Indian chili powder or cayenne, 2 limes sliced into thin rounds, 8 oz mescal, 8 oz tequila.
- Puree turmeric and 1/4 cup water in blender. Then pour into small saucepan with 3/4 cup more water and the sugar.
- Bring to a boil while stirring, remove from heat and let steep for 2 hours
- Soak chilies in 1/3 cup warm water until softened ( about 10 min)
- Strain turmeric syrup into a container while discarding solids
- Drain chilies, then puree with 1/4 cup lime juice and strain into syrup
- Stir in remaining 3/4 cup lime juice and chill until cold( approx. 1 hr)
- combine salt and chili powder on a small plate
- Rub lime slice around rim of each glass and dip into salt mix
- Make 1 cocktail at a time by shaking 1 oz mezcal and 1 oz tequila, 2 oz turmeric syrup and a handful of ice cubes until well chilled
- strain into chili rimmed glass and float lime slice on top!
The Pop Rockarita was made famous by Cocina 214, I was definitely slightly skeptical of the Pop Rock margarita combination at first. I guess Pop Rocks and tequila were two things I hadn’t ever thought to put together. This drink uses Pop Rocks mixed in with the tequila, as well as to coat the rim of the glass. So if your not a fan of that candy you may want to sit this one out! After it’s all said and done I have to admit it sounds cool and can be an interesting way to switch it up from the usual salt rim. You may even turn a couple heads while your at it.
Glass: No standard glass
Method: shake and strain
Ingredients: 1 packet Pop Rocks, Agave syrup, 1 1/2 oz tequila, 1 oz Grand Marnier, 3/4 oz chilled sweet and sour mix, 2 oz cranberry juice chilled, 1 oz diluted lime juice.
- Crush up pop rocks on flat surface or bowl
- Coat rim of glass with agave syrup
- Dip glass into Pop Rocks
- Add remaining Pop Rocks and the other ingredients to shaker with ice
- Shake until well chilled and pour into glass
This recipe is going to take a little more time and preperation than some of the drinks I’ve posted recently. However the end result is worth it and sure to impress! keep in mind I referred to this as a party punch because the recipe is adapted to make about 6 drinks, not because it is a cheap punch mix with half a gallon of bottom shelf vodka in it. ( I don’t judge) This strawberry and ginger punch uses fresh ingredients and is a great addition to any drink connoisseur’s arsenal.
Ingredients: 1/3 cup sugar, 12 oz fresh hulled and halved strawberries, 3 inch piece of ginger peeled and thinly sliced, 1/2 cup (packed) fresh basil leaves, 2 cups of vodka, 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice, 24 oz seltzer water.
We’ll start by making strawberry ginger syrup
- Add sugar, 1/2 cup of strawberries, half of ginger, and a 1/3 cup of water to saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and stir to dissolve sugar
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 3 minutes while occasionally stirring (berries should be soft)
- Muddle 2 cups of strawberries, 1/4 cup basil, and rest of ginger in a large bowl
- Add vodka, lime juice and syrup
- Let sit for 30 minutes up to 2 hours to perfect flavor
Strain and serve
- Strain into large punch bowl, pressing out all juice
- Add seltzer and remaining strawberries and basil
- Serve over ice and enjoy!
The history of tequila is both rich and dated, the origins stretch back to 250 – 300 AD. Around this time period Aztecs were known to make a wine from the heart of agave plants know as ‘pulque’ or ‘agua miel’. Tequila has travelled a long way from its humble origins. Now there are laws governing production and labeling of tequila, aunthentic 100% blue agave will have an NOM on the label. This is not a measure of quality but a show of authenticity.
Many people do not know the differences between mezcal and tequila, there are many but i’ll just hit on the basics. For one the heart of tequila is taken from the blue agave, where as mezcal is not specific to one type of agave. when making mezcal the heart of the agave is roasted instead of being baked which gives it the distinct smoky flavor. Mezcal can also be distilled just once but is more commonly distilled twice for the international market.
Tequila is classified by the percentage of agave spirit and length of the maturation period.
Mixto: consist of at least 51% blue agave distillate most commonly mixed with spirits made of sugar, molasses etc.
Pura: 100% agave distillate
White/clear(blanco,plata,silver,platino) : clear tequila that has been aged for a maximum of 60 days.
Reposado: means rested in Spanish, aged between 60 days and a years.
Gold (oro): much the same as white but with added flavoring and coloring usually caramel.
Añejo (aged): by Mexican law to be classified as aged it must be sealed in government oak barrels no larger than 600 litres for over one year.
Exotic Splash is now offering affiliate links through Amazon, stay tuned for updates on a great selection of hand made mugs, glasses, and bar accessories! I love Game Of Thrones so expect to see some interesting G.O.T. items! As always I appreciate the support always feel free to contact me with comments, questions and suggestions.