I discovered The Elephants Fury in a Sunset Kitchen article. Its birthplace is Oakland California and it is still served by Navi Kitchen in Emeryville, CA. This is a sophisticated recipe that serves 8 and will take a little time but creates a spicy,complex and delicious cocktail sure to impress in any small gathering.
Method: Blend and strain
Ingredients: 1/4 cup fresh chopped turmeric or turmeric powder, 3/4 cup sugar, 2 dried arbol chilies, 1 cup fresh lime juice divided, 1 tbs kosher salt, 1 tbs Indian chili powder or cayenne, 2 limes sliced into thin rounds, 8 oz mescal, 8 oz tequila.
- Puree turmeric and 1/4 cup water in blender. Then pour into small saucepan with 3/4 cup more water and the sugar.
- Bring to a boil while stirring, remove from heat and let steep for 2 hours
- Soak chilies in 1/3 cup warm water until softened ( about 10 min)
- Strain turmeric syrup into a container while discarding solids
- Drain chilies, then puree with 1/4 cup lime juice and strain into syrup
- Stir in remaining 3/4 cup lime juice and chill until cold( approx. 1 hr)
- combine salt and chili powder on a small plate
- Rub lime slice around rim of each glass and dip into salt mix
- Make 1 cocktail at a time by shaking 1 oz mezcal and 1 oz tequila, 2 oz turmeric syrup and a handful of ice cubes until well chilled
- strain into chili rimmed glass and float lime slice on top!